I only get gas every 4-5 weeks, so thank heavens for that. Seriously, at the gas station closest to my apartment, gas is $3.89. I've never spent more than $40 on a tank, but I'm sure that will happen this time.
Which is exactly why I try to have all my fun in the city. Last night, Janai scored tickets to see Julius Caesar at the Shakespeare Theater here in DC (which he pronounces The-A-ter, love it!). It has been one of my long-standing semester goals to see some DC theater, and now it has happened. The set was really cool, and they used a lot of percussion throughout the show which I felt was a meaningful addition. I didn't truly know the whole story of the play, so I found the summary on Wikipedia which helped me out. Once again, thanks to my favorite Wiki.
Writing my last final has been like asking me to get tortured. I should have done it last weekend, but of course, I didn't. MUST DO TODAY. Of course, it is 75 degrees, sunny, and beautiful outside. Crap.
Some good news is that I've been economically stimulated. My $600 cleared my bank account yesterday. Despite my initial plans to save it, I ended up buying a plane ticket home which was ridiculously expensive. At least I can feel like a "good American" and not only save my money, but give it to Northwest Airlines, to give to OPEC to fly me home. How's that for patriotism? I gotta say, there have been huge truck rallies around the U.S. Capitol, and the huge trucks sit in the street, blocking all the traffic, laying on their horns, and make me run through their disgusting pollution to protest gas prices. Okay, I understand that truckers are hard-hit. Really, I do, but wasting gas by driving around the National Mall for 8 hours isn't helping anyone, least of all their gas guzzling tanks.
No offense, Hillary Clinton (you know I love you), but you can bite me if you want a vacation from the gas tax. I've seen my excise tax data (go me! see lines 39-40 for gasoline excise tax data) all over the papers, and not only can we not afford to lose billions of dollars every quarter from that revenue, but it is bad economics. Props to my man Tom Friedman, who is finally back to writing his column in the NY Times after a hiatus for his book. I recommend his article from last week.
The only other thing I'll mention is that last week I saw the documentary Young At Heart. It was about a group of elderly people who sing in a choir, and it is a major part of their livelihood. I knew I would appreciate this movie before I go because of my love for old people and my belief in the power of music, but it was so much more than I expected. I was either smiling, laughing, or crying throughout the ENTIRE movie. It was great!

1 comment:
Thanks for your sweet comment last week Missy! I just wanted to say I can't WAIT to see Young at Heart. I saw the previews awhile back and as a speech-pathologist who works with the elderly I have been VERY interested in it. Unfortunately I live in B.F.E. Georgia and they rarely get any good movies here...we'll have to see. Good luck with the final!
Post a Comment