Out of the many strange habitual behaviors I posess, there is one that is lately making me really wonder what's going on! I remember the first time this occured was J Term of my freshman year. I remember I was trying to decide whether I was going to transfer or not (thank GOD I didn't!) and one day I was sitting in good ol' Norelius Hall 302H when I randomly decided packing up half of my belonings, like I was leaving or something. After about two hours of packing and organizing, I stopped and realized that I was really going nowhere, and what the heck was I doing? I think I just pack when I want to leave or something!
I have been doing this again lately, I mean I have reorganized and gone through all my personal belongings in my house and have been buying stuff for a future house/apartment, YET I still have no idea what I am doing next year. I have yet to hear back from any of the schools that I applied to. I am even out furniture shopping...WTF??? I have purchased a set of fine china, dinnerware, table linens, I have two computers, a desk, a new queen sized bed, throw pillows, a blanket, a kitchen in-a-box, a stainless steel stir fry pan, and table linens. While I realize much of this consumption is due to the fact that I work at Marshall Fields and that I have gotten stellar deals on all of it (people, despite what you think about me owning China, it was a doorbuster after Thanksgiving and costed $85 for $1000 China), however, the fact remains I am packing for a life that I don't even have.
What is even more strange is that I don't mind living at home, I mean, there are no oppressing rules, and I have an entire level all to myself and a spot in the garage all at free rent. There just is a sub-conscious part of my that is itching to get out, to an unknown destination. My peace corps application is officially on "hold" because even though I am ready to be nominated, I can't tell my recruiter when I am able to go. All of this is very, very strange.
Despite the cleaning this weekend, I was able to see the MN Orchestra on Saturday night with Jon. Somehow his parents couldn't use their tickets so we got them. It was French night so they played works by Ravel, Debussey, Haydn (gotta love the Esterhazy house!), and a newer 'Cello concerto that was by a more recent composer. It was such a beautiful concert! I loved it! Next weekend they are opening with Adagio For Strings (um schwing!!!) so hopefully I will make it there! It was wonderful to hear a professonal orchestra, I really miss all the recitals and concerts I got to constantly see for free at Gustavus.
I better go and see who won/is winning the Super Bowl or risk extreme social awkwardness at work tomorrow when everyone is talking about it!!!
2.05.2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I think that it's natural to start buying things for the future. I do the same, although not to the same extent that you have (because of no employee discounts). I think that we're at a time in our lives when we look towards the future and decide what direction we want to take in life. We have all the education and life experiences under our belts, and are ready for something new. It's fun because we get to choose what that "something new" is. Before we were bound to our "we need to do go to college, get a job, move out" etc. to better our future mindset, but now we have all that, and what we do with it is up to us. Exciting and stressful and completely overwhelming at the same time. If anything, what's not to love about organizing?! You get to shed your past, and have only the present to continue you on your path.
**Abrupt Change of Subject**
Sounds like a great concert! Who doesn't love Barber? Schwing is right! There's a free (yes FREE!) concert on the 18th-19th to bring in the new season. :-) I've got my tickets...
Post a Comment