2.11.2007

The best part aboutbeing back at school is getting to be on campus, use the workout rooms, play piano and sing your guts out in a practice room, and to have vending machines and snacks available every fifty feet (or so it seems).

The worst part is that you don't actually get to live on campus. I fondly recall the ease of living on campus as I packedup my laptop, books, AND workout stuff and drove to AU to commence with a day of studies and physical conditioning. As I hauled "Part I" of my possessions to the gym I saw someone was wearing the exact same Gustavus as me, at AU, at the gym, ON THE SAME DAY. What are the odds?? I looked around to see if I knew anyone, but to no avail. I signed up to use treadmill #4 and once I started running I was obviously too worried about making it to 2.5 miles that I didn't notice when the sweatshirt was claimed by it's once-upon-a-time St. Peter owner. After the workout and shower, I went back to my car to put away "Part I" of my belongings and organize "Part II", I sighed a sigh of rememberance. At Gustavus, the gym, caf, chapel, library, or music building were never more than ten minutes away (well, maybe 12 minutes from Arborview) and if you left your laptop somewhere for an hour, no one would steal it! The exercize classes were free and the courtyard cafe baked giant cookies for you. Laundry was free, you never really had to cook, and it was perfectly excusable to take a nap in Folke Bernadotte Memorial Library AFTER you spend your first hour socializing there. I used to complain about having to do 40 pages of reading for one class. BAH!

In the words of Ben Folds "Everybody knows, it sucks to grow up, and everybody does, so wierd to be back here, let me tell you what, the years go on and we're still fighting and we're still fighting it. You try and try, and one day, you'll fly away away from here."

Well, I will say that classes in grad school are generally more stimulating than those at GAC. We have such great discussions and debates, and there is much less lecture. Hot. My guess is that I am going to want to be a graduate student for the rest of my life, ha ha ha!!!

I better do my homework =)

2 comments:

Ms. Arbitrage said...

i cannot WAIT to be in grad school. i was born for success in grad school. sigh. soon enough.

lavenderelle said...

Welcome to the cruel, stimulating world of grad school, enormous campuses, and more than one library (UW has at least 3 dozen). And, if you're lucky, you get to haul your stuff across travel and snow. Yesss. ~J